Our commitment to outstanding patient care dates back to 1899, when sisters Agnes and Fanny Keyser devoted themselves and their home to caring for sick and wounded officers returning from the Second Boer War.
Under Sister Agnes’ steadfast leadership, their Keyser home – 17 Grosvenor Crescent, Belgravia, continued as a hospital for officers after the war, setting the blueprint for our institution’s high level of personalised care.
Thanks to the hard work of the sisters, King Edward VII became its first Patron and it received generous support from members of the public. Today, it still remains the hospital of choice for anyone seeking the best private medical treatment in London.
These beginnings established the core values and traditions for which we are recognised:
- Exceptional nursing care – with one of the lowest patient-to-nurse ratios in the UK
- A commitment to the Services – including their much loved wives and husbands
- A spirit of charity and giving – underpinned by our network of 2,500 Friends and our charitable subsidies and grants.
- Our Royal patronage – from King Edward VII in 1901 to Her Majesty The Queen today.
For over 100 years, these foundations have enabled us to meet medical needs and advances with consistent clinical excellence.