notification Created with Sketch. CORONAVIRUS: please read this important information Coronavirus update

Celebrating 120 Years

The Hospital began in 1899 when the Second Boer War broke out in South Africa. As a wave of patriotism swept over Britain, the Prince of Wales (before he became King Edward VII) suggested that Agnes and her sister Fanny convert their Belgravia home into a hospital. Within weeks they were treating sick and wounded returning officers.

  • Autumn 2020

    Proposed opening of the Kantor Medical Centre (formerly Mackintosh House)

  • April 2019

    Redevelopment of Beaumont House front desk and Reception area are completed

  • February 2018

    Official opening of the Centre for Veterans’ Health, by HRH The Duke of Kent

  • 2016

    Launch of the Veteran's Pain Management Programme

  • Summer 2016

    The Hospital’s 120th Anniversary Appeal is launched

  • 2015

    Opening of the Breast Unit, funded by Phyllis and Michael Rapp in memory of Sharon Tucker

  • 2011

    Redevelopment of the Critical Care Unit

  • 2000

    The Hospital changes its name to King Edward VII’s Hospital (Sister Agnes), from King Edward VII’s Hospital for Officers Sister Agnes Founder

  • June 1981

    Her Majesty The Queen Mother opens the Physiotherapy Department and Hydrotherapy Pool

  • 1952

    Her Majesty The Queen Mother accepts Patronage of the Hospital

  • 1939-1945

    World War Two

  • 1914-1918

    World War One

  • December 1899

    Agnes and Fanny Keyser open their home in Belgravia, London to returning officers from the Second Boer War