If you are coming into hospital for a procedure you will need to complete a pre-assessment prior to your arrival. Fill in a questionnaire, contact us via telephone or arrange a face-to-face meeting.
Let us know your previous medical history, any medication you are taking and your travel arrangements for your stay.
Our aim is to make the admission process as smooth and stress-free as possible. Any concerns or questions you may have will be answered by the pre-assessment team before you come into the hospital. We can assist you in planning your discharge and journey home, and advice on additional care or medical equipment you may require. The health check also ensures that you are in optimum health and we are aware of all potential complications.
The questionnaire should take about 10 minutes to complete. Our admissions team can email you a form, or you can print it below. Please either email or post it to us as quickly as possible, allowing our team to make any changes you require.
Our dedicated Pre-Assessment Team will assess your surgical requirements and your health assessment form. Following this assessment we may require you to confirm some of your answers either via a telephone call or a face to face appointment with a nurse.
The nurse will inquire about your general health, fitness, medications and previous operations and illnesses. The assessment may involve:
• Blood pressure, pulse, temperature and/or respiratory rate measurements
• General blood tests
• A urine test (to test for infections, which must be treated before you can have surgery)
• Swabs being taken for MRSA. Any infection must be treated before you can have surgery
• An electrocardiogram (ECG). This records the rate, rhythm and electrical activity of your heart. It’s a simple test without discomfort or pain. Please note that you will be required to partially undress for this test
• Measurement of your height and weight
• A physical examination which may require you to partially undress and lie down on the examination couch
• Some patients may also require x-rays after their appointment
Once these tests have been completed, you will be able to leave. The results will be checked later.
Please feel free to contact the Pre-Assessment Team directly if you have any queries or concerns on
Telephone: 020 7467 4564
It is normal for you to feel anxious ahead of an operation; it can be a major event in one’s life.
Fitter patients who are able to improve their health and activity levels recover from surgery more quickly and with fewer complications. What you do in the time leading up to surgery can have a big impact on your recovery and long term health.
Fitter Better Sooner is an initiative by the Royal College of Anaesthetists which will provide you with the information you need to help you become fitter and better prepared for your operation.
Click here to access the resources.
The easiest way to help us make your hospital admission as smooth as possible is to complete and return a pre-assessment questionnaire. It takes approximately 10 minutes to complete, and needs to be returned via post or email as soon as possible to allow us to make any necessary preparations ahead of your arrival.