King Edward VII's Hospital for Officers was established in 1899 by two sisters, Agnes and Fanny Keyser, who turned their home at 17 Grosvenor Crescent into a hospital for sick and wounded Officers, returning from the Boer War. King Edward VII became the Hospital's first patron.
With the encouragement of His Majesty King Edward VII, together with Agnes Keyser's enthusiasm, immense support was received from the individuals who later became known as Friends. Over 3,000 Friends pledge their support to the Hospital to this day. Sister Agnes and her staff continued to care for Officers in peacetime. She was renowned for her devoted service to the Hospital, her kindness, tact and firm, effective but inherently caring manner.
The Hospital moved to its present site in Beaumont Street in 1948 when it was officially opened by Her Majesty Queen Mary.
In 2000 the Hospital changed its title to King Edward VII's Hospital Sister Agnes and more recently, in accordance with its charitable aim, the financial benefits to which Officer patients had been entitled, were unconditionally extended to all ranks of ex-Service personnel.
Today this private independent, acute Hospital, registered with the Care Quality Commission and recognised by Investors in People, offers the highest standards of medical excellence, the most modern equipment and facilities combined with impeccable standards of care from which so many patients and their families have benefited over the years.